Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pita Pit, Ha Penny & The Egyptian Theater - Boise

What makes it a great festival?

Beyond the films and the crazy dunken antics? Beyond the chance to chat with film makers? Beyond the sense of "we are all in this together" *and* surrounded by really, really like minded people? Beyond all the cool locals who volunteer for the festival? Well, the chance to bask in the glory of one of the most beautiful theaters I have ever seen. First off what am I comparing The Egyptian Theater to? The Paramount in Oakland, The Castro Theater in S.F. and the Tuschinski Theater in Amsterdam. So, what am I saying here? Boise has a world class theater that is incredible! It is palatial and has an ornate and beautifully painted Egyptian motif complete with two bold statures and pilars on stage that are covered in the soft, muted glow of 24 carat gold leaf. When the lights go down, the gold glows softly as the magic on the screen begins. Am I overstating this? No. Think I'm crazy? Boise? An amazing theater? Yep. Haven't seen it? Have you not been paying attention to this blog!? Am I writing this in a vacuum here? People, I told you this earlier! Get out of the house and take in some of The Idaho International Film Festival. Yes, you! Put down that remote! This is as good as it gets *and* it is going on right now!

The Pita Pit is located just around the corner from the Egyptian Theater and it is where I have been enjoying casual dining and lovely dinners for under $6. The food is great and the staff plays death metal at volumes that will make your ears bleed. I found this comforting. The food is good. You need to go here and grab a pita! Oh, also. Food from the Pita Pit is very messy and is the only 'to go' food items which are not allowed in the Egyptian Theater.

The Ha Penny? Pub. Pub grub and a damn fine place for a pint any time. I have been going here as often as possible during the festival. You should join us for drinks. We'll be there for drinks soon. See you at the pub. See you at the Egyptian. Oh, and undoubtedly I'll see you at the Pita Pit a few more times before I fly out of town and head back home to S.F.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home