Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Golgotha - But I thought I hated silent films! Wrong!

Golgotha @ The 2008 Dead Channels Film Festival in S.F., Roxie Theater

Directed by Karla Jean Davis

This film is sexy. This film is funny. This film is so authentic that several times while watching the alluringly sensual black and white images... I kept thinking. "But this looks *exactly* like an old school silent film. What's the deal here? Where is the angle? Well, part of it? I hope I am not ruining it here for you, but, at times... they actually do speak. Yes, they do. There is one more thing you need to consider when you are watching this film. Karla Jean Davis. First time film maker? Bull shit! No, this is true. I watched that film thinking, "OK, she is way, way too young. She couldn't have made this film. Not possible. It would take a life time to gather the life experience, the skills, the background... You get what I'm saying here?

Here's what they say in the program guide:

"An homage to German Expressionist silent films, Golgotha is the memoir of an evil sorceress's life at the top...alone. She was once the most powerful sorceress of all time; but age has reduced the once-feared sorceress to a sick, old woman on her deathbed. In a rare moment of candor (and humility), she confesses her life story to a goblin named Minion, the last of her loyal footservants. The story's end might be more than she bargained for.

Karla Jean Davis's feature film debut is a reverse fairytale on a particularly expressionistic stage. Don't miss this hand-crafted epic labor of love."

Fair enough. Based on that I figured it was worth a viewing. 2pm on a Saturday? Not the easiest time slot in a festival to pack the house, but a decent showing and there are a few things I'd like to lob out there if you are considering coming out for the second and final Wednesday, October 8th screening @ 6pm at the Roxie.

First of all let me be perfectly clear on this issue. I generally don't like silent films. At all. I am also not a fan of Docs. Once, years ago, while watching a screener of a Doc I was lured in. It's called Fisher Poets. I am not interested in fishing or poetry. The combination? Trust me, this was not a film I thought I would like. At all. Turns out? It's amazing. I was drawn in. Bingo! This is what we are talking about here. What is good film? It's not necessarily what you *think* you like. Get out there. Mix it up. Expose yourself to art and see what happens. Sometimes you find a gem you would not have picked up at the video store. Golgotha? I never would have picked it up. Having seen it? This is not a film to miss. Yes, there are many things that you can do on Wednesday at 6pm. Interested in seeing hauntingly beautiful film, film that has the potential to inspire? Film that also made me laugh? Ah, you can't beat this one! This is a film so strange and so incredibly beautiful that you will walk out of the theater on clouds. It's incredible. Get out there and see this film while you have the chance! The general public? They are thoughtless and crass. Yes, they are and they are far too busy with things like "Survivor" or sports on T.V. You will not likely see Golgotha at the multi-plex. Nope. I am guessing this film will not go huge on HBO. However, you have a kick ass chance of a lifetime to get out and see this incredibly beautiful film on the big screen. Is that important? Hell, yes! This film is amazing and I'd scrap those Wednesday night plans and wander on over to the Roxie theater in the Mission district of S.F.



- Mike Skurko

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home