Thursday, August 26, 2010

'Bronson' - This film is incredible

Hmmm... there are films out there. Films like Blade Runner, Mad Max, A Clockwork Orange. Films that are incredible for many reasons. The above three have a common theme that is critical to me. That theme speaks to the human spirit and most most importantly a spirit can not be broken. OK, sure a stretch for the cop in Blade Runner, but recall the quote "the candle the burns twice as bright...?" I sure do. And these people, burning "twice as bright" are exactly what I'm talking about here. There is something to be said for 'down yet not out.' I like it. Sure a really common theme in many films, but one that can be delivered with such beauty and perfection that at the end of a film I am thinking those magical thoughts: "Wow, I can think of so many of my friends who would LOVE this film!!" It certainly goes beyond the simple theme of a film about some dude who can get the living shit stomped out of him and keep on fighting. Way beyond this. A film beyond the Timex theme of old, sure they can "take a lickin' and keep on tickin." Beyond that there is art. I am not necessarily talking about any particular aspect of art. Take, for instance the film La Haine. There is one small part of the film, a black boxer, angry and in a housing project outside Paris, is boxing. Slow motion. Absolute art. Absolute perfection. It makes the film. You can see the anger. You can feel the hate in each frame. I could see that particular sequence again and again. So, yes. There are many moments and aspects of the human spirit and the expression of art in film. You will know it when you see it.

Bronson? It's got it all. Rather than go on into a review I'd like to suggest here that you pop onto your Netflix account and watch this film immediately. Yes, it is horrifically violent. Yes, it is at times both funny and sad. There is art. There is... Well, suffice to say I saw that film and literally leapt off my couch to call a friend to demand they watch the film.

Bronson is that good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home